This is a recipe I taught during my workshop in Phuket, Thailand, to a packed room full of locals. My raw vegan version of their traditional Thai soup.
Tom Yum Inspired Soup
- 1/4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup straw mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons green chili peppers, chopped, about 3 Thai or 1 serrano pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups coconut meat
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 5 medium Kaffir lime leaves
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon grass, chopped, lower stalks only
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 to 4 cups filtered water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
Marinate toppings by placing all ingredients into a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes or more.
Into your blender, place soup base ingredients with 1 cup water. Blend smooth. Add remaining water, blend to mix well.
To serve, scoop soup base into 4 bowls. Top with marinated vegetables, and garnish with cilantro leaves.